“This is my No. 1 dollar-store purchase,” says Kendal Perez, founder of the blog HassleFreeSavings.com. “Never again will I pay $4 to $5 for a birthday card when I can find the perfect sentiment for $0.50 to $1.” Many big-box stores now have a selection of cards that only cost a buck, but as Perez and other members of our expert panel point out, dollar stores still offer a better deal, since many sell cards for half that.
Dollar Store Buys
- Is That Really Worth $1?
- BUY: School, Office and Craft Supplies
- DON’T BUY: Plastic Wrap and Sandwich Bags
- BUY: Party Supplies and Gift Wrap
- DON’T BUY: Anything With An Electrical Cord
- BUY: Greeting Cards
- DON’T BUY: Cookware and Utensils
- BUY: Holiday Decorations
- DON’T BUY: Jarred Spices
- BUY: Drinking Glasses
- DON’T BUY: Batteries