For basic spices like onion powder and parsley, you can probably find them for the same price — or even less — at a local supermarket or big-box store. It’s likely that supermarket stock has faster turnover, which is important because spices lose their flavor as they age. “They’re fresher and just as cheap at Trader Joe’s,” Weber says.
Dollar Store Buys
- Is That Really Worth $1?
- BUY: School, Office and Craft Supplies
- DON’T BUY: Plastic Wrap and Sandwich Bags
- BUY: Party Supplies and Gift Wrap
- DON’T BUY: Anything With An Electrical Cord
- BUY: Greeting Cards
- DON’T BUY: Cookware and Utensils
- BUY: Holiday Decorations
- DON’T BUY: Jarred Spices
- BUY: Drinking Glasses
- DON’T BUY: Batteries