The history of the Ina Islands home is sketchy. The island was originally called Venus Island by the British who controlled most of the region in the early 1800s. It was purchased around 1871 by Samuel Briggs from Chicago for $150, and he renamed it after his wife Ina. It was then sold to the Hagen family from Rochester, N.Y., at about the time the home was built in the late 1800s. Arthur Hagen owned the American Laundry Machine Company and developed the commercial laundromat concept.
Next Ina Island Home