Is a combination of hard work, intelligence, and talent a guarantee of success? Or has the American Dream become just a dream?
1. Americans enjoy more economic opportunity than people in other countries.
2. In the United States, each generation does better than the past one.
3. Immigrant workers and the offshoring of jobs drive poverty and inequality in the United States.
4. If we want to increase opportunities for children, we should give their families more income.
5. We can fund new programs to boost opportunity by cutting waste and abuse in the federal budget.
68% of folks surveyed said the American Dream is still within their reach
27% pursued extra work to make more money
63% have become more do-it-yourself
76% say they’ll never trust investments the way they used to
19% have sought government assistance of some sort
52% believe that if you work hard and play by the rules, you can have a solid middle-class life